Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Printing Printing Printing

I have officially printed my first new woodcut's in nearly 3 years (since i left Art School!) It has been so much fun getting my hands dirty and carving wood and messing around with ink. Fortunately I'm still able to use the facilities down at Art School so that has been really helpful.

One of the projects that I've been working on is a commissioned print that came as response to my work being exhibited down at University. The brief was to make a big woodcut portrait of actor Steve McQueen and print it in similar style and colours to my previous 'Oranje Fietsen' woodcuts (bright orange and black!) I managed to get this completed last Friday - and will send it off to get framed this Friday once it is completely dry.






As well as Steve McQueen I've also printed a small edition of a new print called 'Pedestrians'. This print is a development from my previous series 'Alone in the Crowd', though focuses more on the 'crowd' part rather than the city as a whole. It has been really good getting back into the swing of things, though i had forgotten how time consuming it is carving out the little stylised people! I'm also thinking more about switching to water based ink (it gets a bit yukky dealing with turps and other nasty chemicals) and am also looking into buying a portable printing press so I can take it with me if I am moving around.


2 comments:

  1. Looking good! When Manu Berry was in Aussie one time he used a pasta maker as his mini press. I don't know what results he got as the rollers were small...or what his matrix was...but I love his ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete